Saturday 30 July 2011

Harry Potter - Deathly Hallows part 2 review

Non spoiler review:
It's pretty good.

Spoiler review:
I cried, a lot :( I mean, there was a lot of dust in the cinema! Or, things that set off my allergies, or...yeah. Well, I had to stop reading the book at certain parts, I couldn't go on because of the above reasons.
Anyway, some random things I remembered:
- I liked Longbottom's heroic act(s) in the book more.
- Snape's scenes were pretty good. Nagini's attack was brutal! Very cool scene.
- I like how a lot of people died :D But I still mourn Lupin and Tonks. Although they hardly had any scenes in the films I guess.
- THAT hug. I think it was actually quite clever. I mean, Voldy obviously never hugged anyone in his life, so of course it looked awkward! And I'm sure it was done in a sort of "isn't that what you losers do all the time?" way.
- Epilogue. It was about as good as it could be I guess. Obviously it looks weird, but tell me, person-who-hated-it, how else could they have made it better? (other than cutting the scene altogether that is)
- I was pretty upset when Mc...what's her name ordered all the Slytherins to be locked in the dungeon. I mean, Slughorn's a Slytherin, and he's a "good" guy. And, you know, the REAL hero of the Harry Potter saga was a Slytherin (Snape). I'm sure there were some kids who wanted to fight against Voldy, but didn't get the chance because of the bad name of their house. I mean, that's just sheer discrimination, and that really rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not sure if that was in the book as well, but it's definitely something I didn't like. Especially since a lot of things in the HP world aren't 100% evil or 100% good.
- Related to that, compared to the books, Dumbledore got off pretty lightly here. Aberfort said something negative about him, but Abe just sounded like a whiney, spiteful bastard, and the whole Dumbledore family history was summarised into "oh yeah, shit happened in his family, and he's probably maybe to blame. Maybe." Lame. At least Snape said that thing about Dumbledore "breeding" Potter to let him die at the right moment.
- Half-naked Ron. *Duff-man OH YEAH* But surely there's a spell to dry clothes? Enclothesdryo! Or something. And If You're A Wizard Then Why Do You Wear Glasses? (I'm capitalising that because it's a Liars song).

All in all, I think I every so slightly prefer part 1. Part 2 has a lot of action and emotional scenes, and obviously it's The End, but...Idunno. Meh. I enjoyed the last couple of films about equally I guess, I don't have any clear favourite.

That's all I can think of for now. Feel free to abuse the comment button.

2 comments: