Sunday 15 January 2012

Australian Open 2012 preview

Due to the time difference, the Australian Open is basically the open that happens while I sleep. So it's probably my least favourite of the four majors, but I know I'm going to spend some nights in front of the tv and only going to bed at 6AM.
Anyway... now for my analysis/predictions/nonsense.

THE MEN

first quarter:
Probably the easiest quarter for the 2 highest seeds. The only one here who could cause an upset is Raonic. A 4th round match against Djokovic is extremely likely. I expect a good match, but Djokovic is going to win eventually.
QF: Ferrer-Djokovic

second quarter:
A much trickier quarter. Murray-Harisson will probably be a good first match, but I still expect Murray to pull through in -at most- 4 sets. I'm also interested in what Nishikori will do here. Still, I don't expect any major surprises here.
QF: Murray-Tsonga

third quarter:
Interesting quarter with Dolgopolov and Del Potro. Verdasco-Tomic is an interesting first round match. I'm going with Tomic here. It's kind of hard to guess where Fish is mentally and physically, but I do expect him to be upset by Del Potro. I'm also expecting a Federer-Dolgopolov 4th round.
QF: Federer-Del Potro

fourth quarter:
This quarter has Baghdatis, Nalbandian and Dimitrov floating around. I'm honestly not expecting them to do any major damage.
QF: Nadal-Berdych

Semifinals:
Djokovic-Tsonga
Federer-Nadal
Tsonga instead of Murray? Yes. If Tsonga can play like he did at the end of last year, he can easily take on Murray - even if it takes him 5 sets. I expect Federer-Del Potro to be a 5-setter as well.

Final:
Tsonga-Nadal
Winner:
Nadal
Surprised? You shouldn't be. The more Nadal complains about "not being ready to win", the more he's actually going to win. It's his "worst" slam, although he did win 100% of the finals he played here!! (he only played one).
I suppose a Djokovic-Federer final (with Djokovic winning, of course) is far more likely, but I like to be surprised. Of course, being a Federer fan, I'd like him to win everything, but I'm not sure about his form right now.

THE WOMEN

first quarter:
Wozniacki, Clijsters, Li Na and Jankovic are in this quarter. Wozniacki will get either Safarova or Jankovic in the 4th round - could be interesting. I expect her to pull through though. I'm also not 100% if Clijsters is fit enough, I guess we'll see it in the first few rounds. Fourth round against Li Na is very likely.
QF: Clijsters-Wozniacki

second quarter:
Some interesting names here (Schiavone, Goerges, Penetta) but I still think the highest ranked players will be in the quarterfinal:
QF: Azerenka-Radwanska

third quarter:
Sharapova, Serena Williams, Kuznetsova, it's like we're in 2004 again! This quarter might have the most interesting matches in the first week. I'm also not sure how fit Serena is right now, but if she's fit enough, she'll get to the quarterfinal for sure.
QF: Williams-Sharapova

fourth quarter:
I don't see any surprises here.
QF: Kvitova-Stosur

SF:
Clijsters-Azerenka
Williams-Kvitova

F:
Clijsters-Kvitova
W: Kvitova
(well unless Kvitova loses in the first round, like she did at the US Open -_-)

Note: nothing ever happens the way I predict it, so if you want to bet on something, try the opposite of everything I said here.

No comments:

Post a Comment