Thursday 8 September 2011

more film reviews!

These are all films I've seen on tv or whatever, I do these every month or two, and keep the reviews (if you can even call them that) short. If you want more info about the films, just google/imdb/wikipedia them. Okay? Okay.

La Tourneuse des Pages (The Page Turner)
I've heard of this film and wanted to see it in the cinema, but my local cinemas are useless. Anyway, it's a french film, about a girl wanting to take revenge on a jury member who made her fail her entrance exam. It's a typically french film I guess, it's somewhat slow, with a minimum of dialogues, but the tension (sexual and otherwise) and atmosphere in this is awesome. The way events are played out are great, how Melanie (the girl) does these little things that eventually end up having big consequences. Really loved this.

Lust/Caution
I love Ang Lee!! But he tends to make his films too long for their own good. And start really really slow. This is no different. I ended up liking the film, but it wasn't easy, if you know what I mean. I like it more because of the performances and the (WWII-)atmosphere, but overall I thought it was rather forgettable. Well, apart from the sex scenes. At first I was all "OMGWTF?" a second later I was all "more, MORE!" What can I say, I'm a pervert.

Into the Wild
THAT ending. Very much a kick in the stomach. But it's a really, really good film. It's pretty and I was never bored with it. I liked all the secondary characters as well, especially the hippie couple. It was like they were his substitute parents. Loved them, and for me, they had the scenes which made me the most emotional.

Mysterious Skin
It has Gordon Joseph-Levitt as a gay prostitute, what more do you want?? The film is actually quite uncomfortable to watch at times, since it involves pedophilia and other rather yucky sexual subjects. But I definitely enjoyed watching it. It's one of those films that you still think about days after you've seen it, and that's not a bad thing at all.

House of 1000 Corpses
I was starving for a horror film, and this just happened to be on tv. It has a couple of disturbing scenes, but it doesn't really flow well together. I loved the Captain Spaulding character, but in the end the film is nothing special.

D.O.A. Dead or Alive
Based on the blockbuster videogame!! Hehe. It's one of those so-bad-it's-good (sorta) films, the film is quite shallow but with a fair amount of eye candy -- just like the games, amirite? Hell, it even has a beach volleybal scene, full of slow-mo scenes and close-ups of you-know-what. If you're a (straight) teen boy, this film is masturbation heaven. Well apart from that Aoki woman, can't see why people think she's pretty. Special mention to Jamie Pressly, who is basically playing her My Name is Earl character here. But she does a good job at, and is actually the only one who at least tries to do some acting.
But yeah, I actually enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I know I shouldn't, so let's just call this one of my guilty pleasures.

Back to the Future Trilogy
Yeah, I probably saw at least one film as a kid, but I couldn't really remember much of any of them. They showed all three of them on tv, so I was able to watch them in order. My favourite one is actually...the third!!! And my least favourite the second - well apart from the first half an hour or so, that was good, but then it starts getting "ugly" and fairly complicated, they forgot to the make the film actually fun. First one is probably the best, I guess. Overall though, I didn't really enjoy the trilogy as much as I thought I would, so personally I think it's a bit overhyped, and people are probably watching this with nostalgia glasses. Cult classic? Probably, but not for me.

Jamon Jamon
Look, it's a spanish film, and you get to see Penelope Cruz' tits, that's all the explanation it needs.

La Piscine
I actually thought this was the original version of Swimming Pool (a film I can recommend), but the story is different. Again, french film, sexual tension, dialogues that are about nothing at all (but somehow still sound cool), etc. It's a fairly long film though, and by the end I was bored with it. Still, the first hour or so is very entertaining for a frenchofile like me, but trop c'est trop.

Kinsey
Interesting film for perverts like me. I mean, people interested in sexual psychology. Actually, Kinsey himself and what he wrote/researched is interesting, but the film is sometimes a bit of a mess. It's like, in the first part of the film, the filmmakers try to tell you what an exceptional and clever man Kinsey was. In the second part, they try to tell you what an immoral pervert he really was. It makes the last half an hour of the film really messy, like they didn't quite know what to do anymore. It's still worth seeing, especially if you even have the slightest interest in sexuology, just be aware of the huge drop in quality towards the end of the film.


Right, that's it for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment